Friday 17 March 2017

THE SELBY TIMES

There seems to be something wrong with our local newspaper. The Selby Times is a regional paper owned by Chronicle Publications, which publishes several titles including The Goole Times, The Pontefract & Castleford Guardian and The Wakefield Guardian. Owners of regional papers do not usually have an "editorial position" on the great events of the day. Normally they provide a forum for local people to let off steam about the state of the pavements or take a pot at a councillor.


But with Brexit they seem to have taken a particular position. It is hard to remember any story which puts the opposite case to Brexit. Getting a pro-EU letter published is virtually impossible. I have submitted several but have yet to see one in print.  If you're interested, one of my efforts is HERE. Not that I think I deserve priority only that I do not see any pro-EU letter from anyone at all.

But Janet Berry, a Brexiteer from Hambleton seems almost to have her own column! She has had at least two letters in a very short period and probably others in the past before I ever noticed her name appearing regularly. Last week (March 9th) there was another missive from the lady urging the government to "get on with what the country voted for" and that Britain is being made a "laughing stock" by all the delays. Her particularly ire is aimed this week at the House of Lords, Blair, Major, Heseltine and Kinnock.

But where is the balance?  We remainers also have an opinion and while we accept the vote was lost we should still be permitted to speak out and put our case. I really don't believe local democracy is well served at the moment. I am making one last attempt and if this is not printed I'll give up.

As for Britain becoming a laughing stock, it is not the House of Lords they are laughing at. I would hate to break it to Ms Berry but they're laughing at her (HERE).

Update: Mrs Berry has had yet another letter printed this week. At least it isn't about Brexit. She's dishing it out to Phillip Hammond about the NICS increase today. I assume her letter, even before publication, was enough to cause a white faced chancellor to cancel the planned increase.