Monday 5 November 2018

AARON BANKS REGRETS? - I'LL BET HE DOES.

Aaron Banks shocked the nation when he appeared to recant his views about Brexit on the Andrew Marr programme yesterday by saying, "The corruption I’ve seen in British politics - the sewer that exists and the disgraceful behaviour of the Government over what they are doing with Brexit and how they are selling it out - means that if I had my time again I think it would have been better to have probably remained and not unleash these demons,” (HERE)

He spent £8 million on encouraging millions to leave the EU, something he didn't understand in the least, and because it's not working out as he imagined it would, he now says it would have been better to remain. What can you say?

I've always thought (well at least since last year!) that sooner or later one or more of the Brexiteers will recognise what a disaster Brexit is and turn against it. But I didn't think Banks would crack first - and perhaps he hasn't quite yet.  Surely though, as time passes and the nation descends into chaos, argument and bitter recrimination, more Brexiteers will follow Banks' lead. My money is on BoJo as I've written before. He holds no strong conviction one way or the other and would flip easily if it advanced his career.

Robert Peston tweeted about Banks:

I note in one of the responses to Peston's tweet by the way someone still claims leavers knew what they were voting for in 2016 - but they aren't getting it. This is Bank's argument in a nutshell. Of course it makes the entirely unrealistic assumption all the leave voters had exactly the same thing in mind when they ticked the leave box. The government's problem is trying to fit 17,410,742 visions into one - and failing, as was always inevitable.

Of course Banks has more reason than most to show a bit of contrition since he might even end up in jail. At the very least his finances are going to be under the microscope for months by the National Crime Agency. No wonder he has a few regrets.

I could have got him a spell inside for much less that £8 million.