Saturday 19 October 2019

October 19th 2019 is going to be seared into our memories just like June 23rd 2016

I am not posting much today because when you read this I will be on a coach to London to join the "Together for a final say" march. I must admit I do not go with a high degree of confidence. Last week's events have thrown a different light on things. Fatigue with Brexit has set in and it seems to me most MPs just want to get over the first hurdle after three long years.

Johnson has in some way been the beneficiary of this fatigue. Had he been PM in 2017 I daresay he would have tried and failed just like Theresa May, but laying the groundwork for a successor.

What was totally unthinkable in late 2017 or early 2018 is now seen as quite reasonable and acceptable - even a brilliant strategy.  The New York Times has a perceptive article that suggests Johnson' drive for Brexit will come at the cost of a broken United Kingdom.  I think this is right. There are forces already at work driving a wedge between us but Brexit is exacerbating those forces there is no doubt.

It's odd how the Conservative and Unionist party can be so cavalier and dismissive of the close ties built up over centuries. Brexit has become an all-consuming thing.

Fingers crossed for the debate and the vote later. Today will truly be the longest in the whole Brexit saga.